Chick Chat Club: Free-Range Eggs
What does it mean free-range eggs and are all free-range eggs the same….
When you choose free-range eggs do you think these eggs came from chickens who go out foraging in a green grass every day? Do you picture them scratching for worms and chasing after butterflies?
In this session I will provide a brief history of free-range egg farming in Australia as well as talk about some practicalities, such as:
- what is ‘stocking rate’ (number of hens per hectare) and how it affects the welfare of the chickens
- how you can find out the stocking rate and have more choice over what you are buying regardless whether you buying your eggs from the market or supermarket
- does it matter what types of chickens are used in free-range production?
- are organic always free-range?
- what is ‘open-range’ and how it has appeared in response to the new free-range legislation…
Bring in your questions or just come with an open mind.
And yes, you can bring your own comments and reflections on the matter.
Catch you soon!